What is the purpose of a cookie?
What’s in a cookie?
A cookie is a simple piece of information in the form of a very small text file. Each and every cookie is unique and comprised of the name of the website that created it and a one-of-a-kind string of digits and letters.The vast majority of websites and apps place cookies on your device’s hard drive (computer, mobile phone or tablet) as you browse them. They do this through your web browser – for example, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Safari or Firefox. A cookie is only readable and retrievable by the website that created it; websites are never able to share information through cookies.Some cookies only last for the duration of your visit. These ‘session cookies’ disappear from your computer or mobile device when you close your browser. Other cookies stay on your computer or mobile device after your browser has closed and last for a specified amount of time. These ‘persistent cookies’ are activated each time you visit the site that generated them.
What’s not in a cookie?
Cookies do NOT contain:
- Personal information – you cannot be personally identified from a cookie
- Programme code – unlike a computer virus, a cookie is not comprised of code, which means it is incapable of harming your device
Are cookies dangerous?
NoCookies are small and simple strings of characters known as text files. They are not computer programs. They cannot read your personal information. They can’t spread a computer virus. Cookies are unable to harm your device, and they pose no threat to your privacy.
Does FLY14 sell cookie data to third parties?
In a word, no.FLY14 never tracks your cookies or IP address to artificially increase prices on flights, hotels or car hire.FLY14 is dedicated to transparency. It was one of our core founding principles, and it underpins everything we do today. We want to show you what your options are, whether you’re seeking the cheapest possible price or the most convenient choice. Since we don’t sell anything ourselves, there will never be a time when we push up prices in your search results.
When you use one of our websites or apps, the following 4 categories of cookies may be set on your device:
These cookies are essential for you to move around our websites and apps, and use their features. Without these cookies our services won’t work properly.Example
- Cookies are essential for FLY14 to direct you to the suppliers of cheap flights and great hotel deals
These cookies do not gather information about you that could be used for marketing or recording where you’ve been on the internet.
These cookies allow our websites and apps to remember your choices and preferences. They enable us to provide you with enhanced and personalised features.Example
- We give you the dates, departure point and destination that you used on your last flight search so you don’t have to re-enter that information, and we also make sure you see your preferred language and currency each time you visit from the same device
These cookies can also be used to remember changes you have made to text size, fonts and other parts of our web pages that you can customise via your browser.These cookies do not collect any information that could identify you personally. They do not gather any information about you that could be used to sell advertising or remember where you’ve been on the internet.
In order to keep FLY14 easy to use, relevant and up-to-date, we use web analytics services to help us understand how people use our websites and apps.Example
- We are able to improve the design of our website because we’ve considered how visitors like you have navigated around it
Web analytics data and cookies cannot be used to identify you as they never contain personal information. They are used solely for our own statistical purposes.We generally use independent measurement and research companies to collect these statistics for us. In such cases, these cookies may be set by a third party company (third party cookies).
- You see an advert when visiting another site elsewhere on the internet showing you flight prices for a destination you previously searched on FLY14
Although these cookies can track your visits around the web, they don’t know who you are. These cookies do not collect any sensitive personal information about you.We also include links to social networks like Facebook. These sites may subsequently use information about your visit to a FLY14 website to target you with ads on their websites.
How can I manage cookies?
There are various ways you can manage your cookies. For precise information on how to manage cookies via your chosen browser, please visit your browser’s ‘Help’ section.Most browsers will allow you to:
- See what cookies you have or are set on your device(s) and delete them individually
- Block third party cookies
- Block cookies from particular sites
- Block cookies entirely
- Delete all cookies when you close your browser
Please remember that any changes you make to your cookies settings will apply to all websites you visit, not just FLY14 (unless you choose to block cookies from a particular site).